Will you freak out if I announce my pregnancy and/or child's birth to you?

Maybe. Which is why I'd like you to either:
  1. Send an email to A.

  2. Send an email to ivf.faq at gmail dot com .

  3. Pass the news along through our Mums.

Please let us know as soon as you make your announcement public.

The sort of situation I'm trying to avoid is one in which you tell me your news via a chirpy email with attached photos on (for example) the same day my OB confirms the imminent end of yet another hard-won but tragically short-lived pregnancy. Generally, we receive bad news related to our fertility a couples of times a month. And sometimes that news reaches me when I'm under the influence of whole cocktails of hormones and/or feeling physically unwell. So - let's just play it safe.

As an aside, I would advise caution when writing an announcement for a hundred-strong cc list. Most people on your list will be overjoyed, but there is a statistically high likelihood that, unbeknownst to you, your email is going to someone for whom fertility is a sensitive subject. Be careful. Keep it low-key for those you don't know well. Consider putting things briefly and including a link to an online photo album/blog/website rather than having everything in the email (this also gives you a chance to provide more photos than you could otherwise attach). Most of you do this already.

No comments: